DataDirect Networks (DDN) has announced a dramatic step forward for cloud storage in the enterprise with the release of Web Object Scaler (WOS) 2.5, the latest version of its massively scalable, geo-distributed cloud storage appliance. With the newest version of WOS, enterprises can now enjoy robust enterprise CIFS and NFS connectivity, unparalleled data protection with cost efficiency and the scalability and performance to power the world’s largest private and hybrid cloud applications.
As organizations deal with an unyielding amount of data growth on a global scale, conventional approaches to content and information storage have proven incapable of efficiently or easily scaling to meet today’s data-driven business objectives. DDN WOS peer-to-peer cloud storage technology resolves many of the scalability and management challenges introduced by conventional storage while providing acquisition cost economy at less than 13 percent of the price of traditional storage.*
Recognized among the Hottest Storage Technologies for 2012 by Storage Magazine, DDN WOS object storage technology is designed for the new era of data capture, storage, processing and distribution by featuring several key advantages over conventional and next-generation cloud storage technology.
Key performance and feature enhancement highlights of WOS 2.5 include:
· Scalability: Supporting up to 256 Billion objects, DDN WOS is 128 times more scalable than other file storage platforms, such as NetApp OnTap Cluster Mode, which according to NetApp scales to just 2 Billion objects
· Performance: Capable of delivering performance of over 8 million file retrievals per second with less than 8,000 high-capacity 7200 RPM disk drives, WOS delivers up to 1,200% greater than the advertised performance from competing cloud storage services such as Amazon
· Connectivity: Support for the broadest array of storage connectivity protocols and clients, such as WOS High Performance API, WebDav, Amazon S3™ API, Android™ devices, Apple iOS™ devices, desktop, NFS and now also CIFS featuring SMB1 and SMB2
· Full Microsoft Active Directory integration to manage privileged identities across multiple Linux®, Mac OS and Microsoft Windows® operating systems and ensure seamless security and compliance for enterprise users
· Revolutionary approach to data protection: By coupling replication with DDN ObjectAssure™ erasure-code-based data protection algorithm, WOS delivers superior efficiency, performance and availability as compared to dispersed storage technology
Innovations in WOS 2.5 include:
DDN ObjectAssure™ erasure coding and replication deliver world-class protection:
WOS 2.5 introduces replication capabilities for its ObjectAssure erasure-coding data protection system. ObjectAssure with replication improves data availability in a cost-effective way by replicating two parity-protected objects — versus either 3-site replication or 10+8 data dispersal data protection approaches. With replicated ObjectAssure™, WOS can recreate an object locally 4,000% faster and without the WAN dependencies or excess WAN bandwidth charges that are customary with dispersed object storage approaches.
WOS Share™ provides secure, behind-the-firewall file sharing and collaboration:
WOS 2.5 builds on the efficient object storage infrastructure at the core of WOS, and now offers enterprises and service providers secure “behind the firewall” file sharing and synchronization from multiple desktop and smart devices. WOS Share stores data behind enterprise firewalls, integrates with existing identity management systems and leverages existing data security to improve collaboration and productivity without violating organizational IT policies.
WOS Access provides enterprise accessibility to multiple operating systems:
WOS 2.5 extends its connectivity offering by featuring enterprise CIFS access, which accompanies WOS NFS, CIFS, API, REST and smart device accessibility to enable organizations anywhere to leverage the ease, scalability and distribution advantages of DDN’s cloud storage platform. With full Microsoft Active Directory integration to manage privileged identities across NFS and CIFS clients, WOS ensures seamless access, security and compliance for enterprise users.